Call for a Free Consultation


facebook twitter

How Do I Pursue a Personal Injury Claim After a Drunk Driving Accident?

 Posted on August 19,2019 in Personal Injury

Will County DUI car accident injury attorney

Although the first day of fall is not until September 23, Labor Day marks the last day of summer for many. Summertime is when increased highway traffic results in more accidents than any other time of the year, but Labor Day weekend is one of the deadliest weekends of the year when it comes to alcohol-related traffic accidents. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), 36 percent of traffic fatalities that occurred during Labor Day weekend in 2017 were due to alcohol-impaired driving, compared to the annual average of 29 percent. Being involved in an accident with a driver who is under the influence of alcohol can be devastating, but you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries depending on the circumstances.

Proving Negligence

Negligence is defined as the failure to do something that a reasonably careful person would do or doing something that a reasonably careful person would not do in the same circumstances. In cases involving a drunk driver, it is not enough to prove that the driver was intoxicated. You must also prove that the driver being impaired is what caused the accident and that the collision caused your injuries. Therefore, it is important to gather as much evidence as possible as quickly as possible. Further, if the motorist is convicted of or pleads guilty to driving under the influence (DUI), this helps your case significantly.

Pursuing Damages

Getting into a car accident can turn into a significant financial burden for the victim. Not only do you have medical expenses if you suffered an injury, but you may lose money from missing work. When you are injured in a car accident, you are entitled to receive compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, loss of your normal life, loss of income, emotional injuries, disfigurement, and/or the wrongful death of a loved one. When you are injured in a car accident due to an intoxicated driver, you are also entitled to receive punitive damages, which are beyond your compensatory damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the intoxicated driver and deter such future acts. 

Contact a Will County Personal Injury Lawyer 

If you have been injured in a car accident because of the carelessness of a drunk driver, you may feel overwhelmed with your injuries and the financial ramifications they can bring. At Flaherty Law, LLC, we understand that victims of car accidents need compensation if they are unable to work due to their injuries. You need a Plainfield, IL car accident injury attorney who has experience dealing with these types of cases and has the skill to prove negligence and work with insurance companies. We offer no-obligation consultations and do not collect unless we help you secure compensation. Call our office today at 815-577-7500 to schedule your free consultation.




Share this post:
Back to Top